Today’s is all about “letting go”.
It is letting go of the small things: thoughts, emotions, ideas, and considerations that often creep into our lives and thoughts throughout the day. Each one, by itself, is very small in the larger landscape of our attention. But when you add them all together, they become larger than they seem, and begin to weigh us down.
Fortunately, there is an easy way to release all of the daily weight we tend to carry with us: grounding. And, as you may soon learn, you may get to laugh at the discovery that the majority of what you carry is not yours.
Grounding is a technique which many spiritual practices teach. It allows you to reconnect with the source of your physical support: our mother planet. Grounding is both stabilizing, in that it helps you to remain connected with your spirit, and cleansing, in that it helps you to release any foreign energies that may have become attached to your own personal space.
For this to make any sense, you may have to open yourself to consider these ideas:
Everything around us is energy. All that is matter, thoughts, ideas, and emotions, are actually forms of energy at different vibrational states. Hence, our own ideas, emotions, and bodies, are also energy. Fundamentally, beyond the apparent perceptions of “reality” as given by our physical senses, our foundational existence is based on energy.
Most people do not experience energy because they have become accustomed to the signals of their daily experience as given through the coarser filters of their body, and of the belief systems they unconsciously participate in. Many of these belief systems openly declare that spirit and energy do not exist, or, if they do exist, they are outside of our purview, a realm that is distant and unreachable by most people.
Unfortunately, this is an incorrect view of the world. Fortunately, it is easy to change if you feel open to the possibility of allowing yourself to play with something new. Just how easy and simple this is may surprise you.
And finally, to experience grounding, you are going to have to reach back to that very basic idea of “play” and “discovery”, and allow yourself to exercise your imagination.
How To Ground
For this exercise, please find a comfortable chair in a quiet spot, where you will not be disturbed for 5 to 10 minutes.
1. Give yourself a deep breath.
2. Sit comfortably in your chair with your feet firmly on the floor, your back upright, and your hands on your legs. Make sure your hands are not touching. Close your eyes.
3. In your imagination, pay attention to a spot in your body that is about 1/2″ above the tip of your tailbone. Use your imagination to picture it as a spot of light, about the size of a large quarter. This is your first chakra. Its domain includes your physical wellness, the integrity and health of your body, and your right to be/exist on this planet.
4. Now imagine that you can see the center of this planet. What does it look like to you? Is it darkness and rock? Fiery hot magma? Loving light and water? Maybe green lush vegetation? Any way you choose to see it will be fine. Use what feels comfortable for you.
5. Now imagine a very long cord. Tie one end of this cord to your first chakra. One or two firm knots will be just fine. The other end of this cord is tied to a large anchor. In your imagination, go ahead and drop the anchor to the center of the planet. The cord can stretch to whatever distance you need it to go. As it reaches the center of the planet, it firmly grabs ahold of it as anchors do.
6. Now allow this cord to act as a conduit. Declare in your thoughts that any energies that are not yours will simple fall down the cord and be taken to mother earth for recycling. Our planet, in her wonderful and miraculous awareness, will transform all those things back into neutral loving energy and return it to their owners. All you get to do is let go.
7. Notice how this makes you feel. You may experience sensations in the body. Perhaps emotions may arise, or settle down. Or perhaps it simply gets very quiet as your thoughts stop their chatter.
8. After about 5 to 10 minutes, come on out of your grounding, open your eyes, do a light stretch, give yourself a deep breath, and notice how you feel.
And that’s it. You have learned how to ground.
It has been my experience that sometimes the use of the image of an actual cord does not work for everyone’s imagination. If you find this is the case for you, you can use anything your heart desires. You may imagine a waterfall, grains of sand (like an hourglass), a column of light, falling leaves, a column of butterflies, a long and solid redwood tree with deep roots into the planet, a chain of laughing monkeys, etc. You can use any image you like for your grounding cord, as long as it feels comfortable to you and helps you to let go.
Grounding is a clairvoyant’s first and most important tool. This is because almost everyone believes that such things as spiritual experiences and clairvoyance or mediumship are not real. But if you remember that these ideas are merely energy, you begin to clear out such thoughts from your personal space, freeing up your natural sight.
Practicing grounding on a daily basis will help you to settle your mind and emotions to your personal neutral and natural state, which usually is calm and peaceful. As you ground, any foreign energies that enter your space will simply be drawn to your grounding cord and whisked away to the center of the planet.
Grounding can help you to remain objective in emotionally charged situations, as the pull of strong feelings is drawn away through your grounding cord. It will help to keep you settled in traumatic situations as well, when everyone else’s fear and worry energy is in the air around you. And it can help you to release and relax after a stressful day at work, or through difficult situations anywhere. All you need to do is imagine your grounding cord between your first chakra and the center of the planet, and remember that you are letting go of any energies that do not belong to you.
And that’s it for today’s lesson.
Have fun grounding!